Monday, June 20, 2005

Your time may be shorter than you think

I'm very sorry to report this, but apparently there were 2 deaths in Dells last night. The first, substantiated, happened only a block from our house at 7:30 last night. 24 yr old male, riding a 2005 Harley, lost control of the bike at the intersection of 8th and LaDelle and was thrown from the bike. After being air-lifted to Sioux Falls, he died at 10 pm. The second, unsubstatiated, was also a 24 yr old male, thrown from a 4 wheeler approx. 6 miles south of Dells. Also air-lifted to SF, reports on his condition vary from dead to very critical. Neither rider was wearing a helmet. I've been riding my entire life. I don't pretend to be Safety Sammy, not that I'm careless, far from it. Only because I don't wear a helmet. Maybe I should start. I do believe I have logged over 100,000 verifiable miles on a motorcycle without a serious accident. To what do I attribute this ? Mostly luck. For the fact is, if you ride a motorcycle, sooner or later, you will be involved in a serious accident. And it probably won't even be your fault, but there you lay, just as dead. "But officer, I just didn't see the motorcycle". So to all of you that engage in risky behavior, no matter the kind, send up a prayer to whatever god you worship that you are out there walking around today. We never know when our ticket is going to get punched.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

To what ever God you worship? There is only one God.

Greg said...

Just playing the devils advocate, I'm sure there are several million Muslims who would take issue with that statement.

Anonymous said...

what you call a tragic accident, darwin would term natural selection. i don't mean to be crass, but as a very revered equestrian once told me -

if you think that your hairstyle is more important than protecting your brain, you are probably right.

Jeannie said...

Whoa, Missy. You don't know what kind of battle you are starting. Natural selection huh? And by the way Muslims believe in the same one God we do, just not Jesus.