Friday, June 24, 2005

Nationalism

I've been reading with great enthusiasm the comments on Wyatt's blog concerning the smoking in bars issue. Poor Christoph has been taking some hits. Somehow, the fact that he's German is being used against him, as in, well, no wonder he's liberal, he's from Europe. I know a few Europeans, mostly German, and Christoph is a voice of reason compared to some. I always value his input because of his heritage. I find the global view-point much more interesting than just our regional differences. But it leads me to my quote of the day, after which I must take my leave, 18 holes on a glorious day await me. Enjoy your weekend, all. "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries, because you were born in it". - George Bernard Shaw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel honored. I also don't understand what my assumed other political convictions would have to do with the topic being discussed. On the other hand, it makes it easier to catch people off guard when they assume certain things about you.

Anonymous said...

Yes you can label the older and wiser perspectives of the world and you can select quotes, articles, book, and other sources that validate poor perspectives, or you can draw upon the wealth of minds and think for yourself. But that is difficult isn't it? However, there are many heroic and patriotic Americans through history, as well as the quoted, who would certainly disagree with your implied point of the quote.

To the feeble!

Anonymous said...

I think that it's possible to love your country and the values it represents without feeling superior to other nations or their people. It's the thin line between the two that George Bernard Shaw is referring to, with his undoubtedly pointed and willfully polarizing remark. Wasn't he Irish though?