Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Poker Run is ON! June 3rd, 2006

The 1st Annual Wyatt Ammon Memorial Poker Run is on! I've established the route and all the stops, now I need to get the flyers printed and advertise the heck out of it. Here's the itinerary-
sign-up= Sidewinder Bar, N. Cliff Ave. Sioux Falls from 11-1.
1st stop= Baltic Corner Bar, in the country by Baltic
2nd stop= Prarieview Steakhouse & Lounge, Dell Rapids
3rd stop= Colton Bar, Colton
4th stop= Steve's Bar & Grill, Trent
5th and last stop= Old Dutch Inn, Dell Rapids. Last card by 6 pm. Prizes to follow asap. There will also be food and karaoke at the Old Dutch after the poker run.

I understand there's some confusion as to exactly what a poker run is. I'll try to explain as best I can. At the sign-up spot, you'll sign a waiver that says you won't hold us responsible if you somehow manage to disable, dismember or kill yourself while participating in this event. Then you pay $10 for a poker sheet. The poker sheet has five places on it. At each of the 5 stops, you'll find the card table and draw a card from the deck. The card you draw will be designated on your poker sheet by the volunteer manning the table, along with a special stamp, showing you actually were there, and not just filling in the card by yourself. No cheating now! At the last stop, you'll draw your 5th and final card and then turn in your sheet to the judges. Best poker hand wins! You can buy as many poker sheets as you like at sign-in. Payback will be to the best 3 hands drawn. !st= $100, 2nd= $50, 3rd= $25. Hopefully there will be some other prizes donated that will be given away as well.

You don't need a motorcycle or specialty vehicle to do the poker run. There are generally lots of motorcycles and hot rods, just because people that own these are always looking for a good reason to get them out of the garage and show them off. It's certainly not a requirement. The route I picked isn't a long one and you have 5 hours to complete it. That leaves plenty of time at each stop to socialize, admire the cars & bikes, or just enjoy the drive.

We are certainly hoping for a beautiful 80F day but this run will happen, rain or shine. All proceeds will go to the Wyatt Ammon Scholarship Fund. Please come and join us if you can. I'm VERY excited about this event and I'm looking forward to greeting each of you personally on June 3rd.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too!!!! And, those of you travelling from Minneapolis..I'm looking for some carpool action, so let me know if we can coordinate efforts (and gas $ payments). William, if you're reading this, call me. Can't wait 'til June!

Jeannie said...

I'm so excited that some people are going to come. It will be so good to see everyone! Please let us know if you are coming. Sometimes it feels like the whole world is passing me by, and forgetting about Wyatt. Even though I know it isn't true, it is so good to hear from you! Ali and Lauren, we am so happy you are coming! We want to see everyone. The party at the end will be so much fun. Everyone who wants is welcome to camp in our backyard, our basement, or the campground. We will make room!

:lauren: said...

i am sooo excited! :) I can't wait to see you guys.

Anonymous said...

we will be there! ...and i think im sleeping in your basement..with Gin. :)

Vivian said...

Too bad that I'll have to miss it. I wish you success! :) Nothing better than good times with good people.

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed!! I have to work that weekend and can't get it off!! Hopefully I'll be able to come up for awhile after I get off at 8, or if I get really lucky I'll get out early. I have a feeling there's going to be a huge turn out.