Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Catching up......

My oh my, time goes by in a hurry. Every day I have good intentions to post and then something comes up and........so we'll see if this gets posted.

The weather today in SD is not nice, cold and rainy here but get this- in the Black Hills they are forecasting 8-12" of new snow with 60-70 mph winds! Incredible! As bad as I want spring to be here, I always enjoy a good old-fashioned blizzard, the likes of which we don't see much of anymore. I do feel sorry for the ranchers though, the sight of cattle bunched in a corner, suffocated, isn't a pretty sight.

We spent a lovely Easter with Grandma & Grandpa in Mitchell. I mean it was nice to spend time with the fam, the day wasn't so great, but of course, when it was finally time to go home, the sun came out and it warmed up slightly. Kyla came home and Allie rode along with us too, so it was nice to be together, as much as we could. Of course, Grams went all out on the food, so it was not a diet day. Which is a nice lead-in to my latest endevour- The South Beach Diet. I'm not going to be an old person and complain about my health here but I had a blood panel done a couple weeks ago and unfortunately, the results were pretty much what I'd feared. So, time to make some life-style changes. My sister, Deb, and her family have had some really quite spectacular results on South Beach, so Jeannie and I have decided to give it a try. As an added bonus for you, faithful reader (and an incentive for me) I'll tell you right now that my starting weight was 223 very flabby lbs. My other incentive is to be able to actually wear the really cool shirt with pearl snaps that Ginger gave me for Christmas. So stay tuned on my progress. Rest assured however that if I manage to blow yet another diet, you'll never hear another word about it.

Last week, on a nicer day than today, I decided it was time to get my knees in the breeze and get the Harley out. I managed a 250 mile ride, not too shabby considering I never got going 'til 3 pm. I took a nice slow ride to Sioux City, IA, with bad intentions. I actually wanted to ride a BMW. Gasp! I know, I know. Hey, I never said I was going to buy one. But the thought of 110 hp vs the 68 hp of my Harley has my curiosity piqued. Naturally, when I got there I was informed he'd just sold the demo model and sorry about that, maybe you can come back tomorrow? Maybe not. The ride down was fairly pleasant, although Hiway 75 was so rough I actually had to stop and let some air out of my shocks before I jarred a filling loose. I'm an old farm boy and proud of it, but 125 miles of smelling nothing but pig s*** was getting old. It's true! Iowa really must be the hog capital of the US. That smell was always in the air. Needless to say, I took I-29 home. SD has stricter laws against large hog confinement operations and now I can see one of the reasons why.

The rejukification of the house continues. Albeit at a snails pace. It's fun for me and I also like to complain about it, so if it ever got finished, what would I have to do???????? Just another reason why I guess I'll never own a new house. Toots for now.

"Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life."
George Burns

6 comments:

asdf said...

Dad, after watching you type over Easter, it must have just taken you over an hour to peck out that post!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your diet!

Anonymous said...

Greg, good luck to you and Jeannie on South Beach. Their frozen pizzas are delicious, & so are their PB bars. Yum! How dare you ride your Harley with the purpose of riding a "different" bike. :P As you know, my family lives in the BH and so far they have gotten 5" w/two more days of snow expected. Nice intro to May I see. Thank god I am living in Tornado Alley...what, it is better isnt it! ha!

Fletch said...

Greg, we've just had three days around 100 degrees if you want to cruise down I-29 and I-35. Just don't ask Lauren to ride on the back of your hog, I'm afraid that she wouldn't return the same girl!

:lauren: said...

my dieting advice: drink lots of water. if nothing else, at least you'll be hydrated.

Lauren said...

nothing wrong with the "hunt and peck" typing method!

Thanks for the update Greg - if you come on down here, I'm always game for a ride on the back of a harley :)