Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ishmael

I remember last year Wyatt telling me to read the book Ishmael. I never got around to getting it. When I read Wyatt's journal from Zambia, he talks about the way he saw the human race headed. He acknowledged that it was a ripoff of Ishmael, but seeing that even the primitive tribes in Africa were becoming dependent on our western way of living made him think that there really was no return for us. So I took a Barnes and Noble gift card that Wyatt had in his wallet and bought the book. The gift card had just enough to cover the cost of the book, so in essence Wyatt bought it for me. It was very thought provoking. It breaks down all people into two categories, the takers and the leavers. It gives a whole new perspective on the genesis account of creation and the fall of man. I thoroughly enjoyed. Daneil Quinn has written several books which illuminate his philosophy. I plan to read more of them. If anyone has read any of his books please comment here on my blog your reactions to them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ofty said...

So what category do most of us end up? Givers or takers?

Anonymous said...

Do you think this book is pro-Christianity? Is about Ishmel the son of Abraham? Just curious about it.

Anonymous said...

i looked for the book today, but of course was spelling it ALL WRONG. i will look for it again on Thurs when i am there again.

Anonymous said...

i bought wyatt his copy. we were supposed to write each other book reports when we finished, but instead we talked about it incessantly on one of our camping trips. the last letter i got from wyatt was a copy of the journal entry that you read.

Jeannie said...

The book is not christian in nature. It does talk about the creation story though. It is not about Abraham's son. I don't want to say too much about it, I want you to read it. It is a quick read and very thought provoking. Don was that you in the anonymous post? And Erik, our whole society are the master takers. Our system depends on it.

Ned said...

Hey Greg, read the Story of B if you get a chance. I thought that was a really amazing book too.

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, I am half way thru the book now after my flight back home today! no more comments with details till im done!!!!! :)