Tuesday, May 24, 2005

almost perfect

We have returned from the maiden camping voyage, like victorious warriors, big smiles all around. Jeannie doesn't think it's really camping, and to tell you the truth, it doesn't feel like it did in the old Holiday Rambler, that's for sure. This is more like having a luxury penthouse suite in the middle of a pine forest (or next to the beach, wherever you're camping). Now don't get me wrong, our camper is not the creme de la creme of the RV world. But it is in very nice condition, has a slide-out, which makes the living room seem huge, a working bathroom and running water and a queen-size bed. It is just the difference between night and day for us. We did spend the weekend at Newton Hills state park by Canton. We got there late Thursday night, dropped into bed, was up early Friday morning so we could get to Jeannie's uncle's farm auction by Parker at 8 am. What a day that was! I was so exhausted when I got back to camp at 10:30 pm it wasn't funny. We hadn't had advance reservations so we lost our spot on Sat. night to some kids in a tent. they reserved an electrical spot so they could plug in their boombox. Funny! Meanwhile, the rangers find us the last remaining spot in camp that wan't reserved, a non-electrical tent site. No problem, Grandpa and I both double up on the same site, no electicity, just battery power. No problem, it cooled off really nice that night. Sunday we had a nice relaxing day at camp before heading home. What a trip! Good thing I wasn't ina hurry. Now I know my pickup is a little small for the camper but most of the time it does OK. The wind had to be blowing 30-35 mph out of the NW and we are heading straight into it. Yikes. Luckily we took the back roads home so I didn't have to embarrass myself on the interstate. I can see a HD 2500 Duramax diesel in the future, when my ship comes in. Can't ever have too much power. Now Newton Hills was OK, but I can't wait until Thursday when we head to Lewis & Clark at Yankton. Now there's my favorite place to camp. I won't be camping in the Black Hills 'til I upgrade the truck. Right now, there's no way I could pull the Wasta Hill, no way. "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the cheap price is gone".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always borrow my Dodge, she's got plenty of power.

Anonymous said...

uncle greg & aunt jeannie~ your pics on your site look hot. studs.