Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The way things work

Sometimes, the way things work out is just hard for me to fathom. I'm still shaking my head over this one- The first week in August, I bought a '98 Sportster from a guy in Sioux Falls. I needed a bike so Wyatt and I could take our motorcycle trip before he left for Africa. The time was right- Sturgis had already started and this guy knew buyers were growing scarcer by the day. I made him a pretty ridiculous offer and he took it. So- now I've got the bike, my friend and I basically give it a major tune-up for the trip. After a small breakdown on the road (we made it as far as Chamberlain) we're back on the road and the Sportster runs flawlessly for 2,800 miles. So, we're back home and now I own 2 Harleys, which I have made my peace with. I bought it right, I know I can sit on it 'til next spring and make some money. But- as long as the snow isn't flying yet, there may be a buyer out there. So I set the bike in my friend Wayne's driveway with a for sale sign. Wayne lives by Sioux Falls and has tons of traffic by his place. What the heck, right? One day, the phone rings-"this is Oscar. What can you tell me about the bike? I'm really calling for my brother, Hector". 10 minutes later, Hector calls. I repeat the story and encourage him to come look at it. "Well, I'd really like to but I'm in Dallas". Dallas, as in Texas? Yep. As it turns out, Oscar plays in a band that travels around the country. They were playing in or around Sioux Falls and Oscar was killing some time driving around. Just as Oscar is driving by Waynes house, Hector calls and says to his brother, "I'm thinking of buying a Harley, sure wish I could find a nice one." Oscar hits the brakes, and the deal is hatched. Long story short, and 33 emails later, Hector flys in to the Sioux Falls airport with hundred dollar bills in his pocket, we have lunch and do the paperwork, and he's on his way back to Dallas on the Sportster. Is that crazy or what? Hector turns out to be a really nice guy, he absolutely loves his new Harley, and felt it was karma that Oscar was looking at it the second he called. He felt he was destined to own it. And it was karma for me too. Our motorcycle trip is a great memory, the moneys in the bank, and I have a new friend in TX.

3 comments:

asdf said...

Dad, that's crazy how that worked out. When I first started reading it, I thought you were gonna say someone stole it or something. Anyway, I can't believe Amalie is still over sleeping. School's been in session for a month and a half now. Isn't she getting in trouble for being tardy?

Anonymous said...

That was a sweet bike.

Anonymous said...

Hey there - don't forget about me and Fletcher! You have three friends in Texas :) And you're more than welcome to visit whenever you would like!

Hope things are going well.

-Lauren