Tuesday, July 26, 2005

a big turn

I have lots of different things I like to do, that most people would think are not fun. One of which is driving a semi-truck. My friend Steve has a truck and he's gone most of the time. I thought it would be fun to be able to give him a break and also fulfill my truck driving jones. So I studied and got my CDL with all the endorsements, so now I can legally drive anything on the road. Steve wanted me to take a run out west for him yesterday, as they are trying to prepare for the Sturgis rally and are trying to stock up on Coke products in Rapid City. I left Dell Rapids at 5:45 am and got to the Coke plant in Rapid City at 11. It took them 2 hours to get me unloaded. Then it was off to Colony, Wyoming to the bentonite plant. Bentonite is just a kind of clay dirt that all kinds of products are made from, and Colony is the largest bentonite plant in the world. Bentonite is the binder for many pharmacutical products, such as aspirin, the base for many cosmetics, and the material used to make kitty litter. That foundation you applied to your face this morning? Bentonite. Anyway, the inside of this amazingly huge building in the middle of the prairie is stacked to the rafters with pallet after pallet of kitty litter, all shrink-wrapped and ready to go. Their biggest vendor is Wal-mart, and that's where the load I picked up was going, to the Wal-mart in Seymour, IN. So I had to wait in line another 2 hours to get loaded. Then it's time to head for home, all I have to worry about now is crossing the scale at Tilford Gulch, and fueling in Mitchell. I made the scale OK and headed for home. Start time- 5:30 am. Home 11:00 pm. Total miles- 865. Was I legal on the logbook? You decide. PS- in trucking venacular, a turn is a run to your destination and back home. Yesterday was a BIG turn.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Oh it's still fun. But I just thank my lucky stars I don't have to do it for a living. Once a month is a great plenty.

Anonymous said...

Boy whats a log book?? Which one did you show the chicken coup? It's fun most days as a living also. The non 9 to 5 drudgery is nice.