Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dynamite vs. Ambassadors

So, the Dell Rapids Chamber of Commerce came up with a great idea- inviting the Harlem Ambassadors to town for an exhibition game. The Ambassadors being a traveling team, not unlike the Globetrotters, traveling the country and promoting an anti-drug, good sportsmanship message. All good stuff, except who are they going to play once they get here? Enter the Dell Rapids Dynamite, locals who at one time all shined on the court. All except for me. I have no idea why I ever said yes, although I remember a conversation about "political candidate" and "good public exposure." When I got to the gym at 6 pm tonight, the Ambassadors were already warming up. My blood turned to ice water in my veins. They were all gigantically tall, fast and young. They even had a female player who was only 5' 4" but had played pro ball too. Now I thought right up to tip-off that this would be basically a game of keep-away with clowning around. WRONG. These guys are playing for keeps. There were a lot of young guns and not so young guns from DR being given a clinic for free out there. That's when I had a mature moment and decided that my place was on the bench, slapping hands, passing out towels and keeping up morale. Hey, don't be too hard on me, I was the oldest guy on the team, and I couldn't play basketball when I was 20. With age comes wisdom. And I got a really cool t-shirt that says "Dell Rapids Dynamite" on it. All in all, a good night and I live to play another day.

2 comments:

:lauren: said...

if it makes you feel any better, i'm 5'10 and can barely hold a basketball correctly. that whole hand-eye coordination thing just isn't me.

and better to be slapping hands than slapping other things like they do in football. ;)

Anonymous said...

I would like to know why those of us that live oh so close and have cameras ready and waiting were never aware of this game :) j/k!