Thursday, December 30, 2004

Book Review

Kyla gave me a book for Christmas. The Secret Life of Bees. It is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it, especially for women. It kind of reminded me of Fried Green tomatoes. It is set in the south during the 60's civil rights movement. The main character is a 14 year old white girl coming to age. The story revolves around her trying to find out about her mother, but the real story is about the sisterhood between a group of women. I loved everything about this book. The author made me feel like I was right there. I could sense nature the way she described it, and the bees were fascinating too. If I could write it is the way I imagine I would write. It was like she was writing just the way I perceive. That is what made the book come so alive I think. I hope it is made into a movie. If you have read it, let me know what you thought. Or if you have read another book that you loved, pass along the title so I can read it.

Quote for today:
I believe in the sun - even when it does not shine
I believe in love - even when it is not shown
I believe in God - even when he does not speak
-Holocaust Victim

If a holocaust victim can still believe without seeing, I have no excuse to give up. It brings things back into perspective. I will stop my wallowing in self pity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

blog/site to my favorites. I also have a blog/site you're invited to visit